Have you or your child just received clear trays as part of Invisalign treatment? Congrats! You are getting closer to achieving a healthier smile. An important part of your treatment plan is keeping your aligners clean. So, keep bacteria and discolouration at bay with regular cleaning of your dental appliance. Besides, if you want your trays to stay invisible, you’ve got to up your cleaning!
Recommendations for cleaning
A good cleaning habit pays at the end of the day. When you develop a cleaning routine for your invisible trays, it doesn’t only keep them in good condition but also improves your dental hygiene. In fact, following thorough Invisalign care is an indirect way of keeping your mouth dentally hygienic.
So, here’s the thing about maintaining a spotless and fresh aligners:
- Take off your aligners: First thing you should do to clean your trays is to remove them from your mouth and give them a thorough scrub. Your orthodontist will show you how to wear and remove your clear trays.
- Remove food particles and bacteria from your trays using a soft toothbrush: Clean the inside and outside surface of your aligners in a gentle manner using a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a dentist-prescribed toothpaste if you like. However, don’t brush your aligners with so much force. It will scratch and diminish the glow of the trays. Brush gently. It’s important.
- Don’t forget to rinse off your Invisalign: When you are done with brushing your aligners with a soft brush and non-toxic toothpaste, ensure you rinse it off under running water. This final act will wash off any remaining bits of toothpaste or food particles.
- Wear your aligners: Won’t it be great to put clean trays on clean teeth? We recommend the use of antimicrobial mouthwash during your treatment with Invisalign since the aligners can trigger the activities of bacteria in your mouth. Done cleaning the teeth and trays? Put your aligners back on. Remember to follow your orthodontist’s instructions on how to wear your aligners.
Are you considering Invisalign London for you or your child? Contact our dental practice for consultation and possible treatment.
What you shouldn’t do while cleaning aligners
There are certain cleaning habits you shouldn’t follow when you’re cleaning your trays. You know how much these aligners cost, so be careful in the following:
- Avoid soaking your trays in bleach or any other caustic chemicals in a bid to whiten them.
- Soaking your aligners in mouthwash is not necessary. Should you adhere to the rules of brushing, your trays will be very clean, fresh, and nice looking.
- The use of denture tablets is highly discouraged in cleaning aligners. These materials if used repeatedly, can give your trays a yellowish colour.
- Whitening toothpastes and tough brush should not be used on clear trays. A rough brushing will scratch your aligner surface and make them look dull.
What do you want for your teeth? If Invisalign is a part of your choice for treatment, kindly schedule an appointment with us. Knowing fully well that patients’ needs differ, we offer bespoke dental care to every patient. Should you be experiencing misaligned teeth and need Invisalign London, it is available at our practice. Consultation is free and results incredible.